Saturday, July 5, 2008

For and By Kids - Mini M&Ms/Chocolate Chip Cookies

Since it's the school holidays, my 10-year old daughter invited her 2 best friends (plus her friend's 6-year old sister) over yesterday. While they usually just hang around my daughter's bedroom when they are here, for a change, I let them invade my kitchen to do some baking. A few days ago, my daughter and I had already picked out the perfect recipe from a cookbook for children called Tiny Kitchen.

I controlled myself from meddling with the girls' business, letting them do most of the work. Seems like they really had fun...especially so because they had the excess M&Ms all to themselves and... I did all the cleaning up afterwards!

This is what they baked...


As soon as these cooled down, the kids had their snack along with some vanilla ice cream (yes, ice cream, even on a cold winter day here in Melbourne). I had some myself and truthfully, for a recipe so simple, they were pretty good. Melt in the mouth, not too sweet....try them!

Mini M&Ms/Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients/Procedure:
Mix together in a bowl:
1 cup soft butter
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg

Add the following:
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda

Mix together well. Stir in:
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips/mini M&Ms

Line your cookie pans with baking sheets. Using two spoons, drop dough in any shape or size you like. Alternatively, you can shape your dough into small balls to create a more uniform shape. Leave about 2" in between cookies for spreading. Bake at 180 degrees C for about 15 minutes or until the cookie edges are light brown. Leave cookies in pan for a few minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment